This position coordinates office activities for attorneys and performs a variety of legal assistant duties such as preparing legal documents and correspondence, docketing cases and maintaining court dockets and diaries, and providing information and direction to others. The work requires knowledge of legal, secretarial and office practices.
The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed.
- Provides legal assistance and support for attorneys to whom assigned.
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls; responds to inquiries on a variety of matters such as the status of pending cases, administrative and court rules.
- Schedules and arranges meetings and conferences and notifies interested parties.
- Operates all office equipment to produce legal documents.
- Proofreads and corrects prepared materials for correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, format, syntax, and content.
- Logs, dockets, and schedules court appearances; prepares notices of hearings and sends to interested parties.
- Composes routine letters and memoranda and prepares reports using knowledge of work area instructions and guidelines.
- Files legal documents with proper courts and serves and files legal papers.
- Makes recommendations for improving efficiency and economy of existing operations.
- Assist with answering telephone, receiving/distributing faxes, and other office responsibilities as needed and requested.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge. Skills. and Abilities
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures, software, and equipment.
- Knowledge of court and administrative hearing rules and procedures.
- Ability to compose correspondence and reports.
- Skilled typing ability and knowledge of hardware, software, and related applications and systems.
- Ability to follow complex instructions.
- Ability to apply instructions and/or guidelines as appropriate in the performance of management support activities.
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations occurring as a result of workloads and/or deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to use diplomacy and discretion in giving out information and in referring and directing callers and visitors.
- Ability to determine work priorities.
- Proficient with Word, Excel and Outlook.
There may be times of higher workloads and/or deadlines inherent in certain positions. The legal assistant will be expected to assist other attorneys and other office personnel as needed.
Required lifting of 10-15 pounds, including files and books, from floor to shoulder height. Sitting for long periods of time. Physical condition permitting sustained attention to detail.
Prior administrative support experience in similar or related settings.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Apply and interview at workplace, 4701 E. State St, Rockford Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm or fill out our EZ Registration form.
|Job Category||First Shift|