ROCKFORD PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT #205
Job Title: Director of Benefits
Department: Human Resources
Supervisor: Chief Human Resources Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: Acting under the direction of the Chief Human Resources Officer, The Director of Benefits oversees, implements and administers the District’s employee benefit programs, such as and including group health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, flexible spending accounts, employee assistance program, 403(b) tax sheltered retirement plan, COBRA administration, workers’ compensation, leaves of absences, and wellness programs in accordance with applicable federal and state statutes and collective bargaining agreements.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Employees in the Benefits Department of Human Resources
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. In addition to the requirements listed below, regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ensures that all actions are in concert with the Board policies as well as the mission statement, beliefs, objectives and parameters found in the Board’s strategic plan.
- Participates in job training and professional growth opportunities in order to enhance ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
- Plans and directs the overall design, implementation, communication, and administration of the organization’s health and welfare benefits programs.
- Oversees a benefits budget representing over 50 million dollars.
- Evaluates benefit policies of the District and prevailing practices among similar organizations to recommends to the CHRO a competitive benefit program.
- Oversee the Benefits Department to ensure compliance with DOL, COBRA, ACA, HIPAA, FMLA, ADA and any other applicable Federal, State, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; obtaining qualified opinions; enforcing adherence to requirements, advising management on needed actions.
- Evaluates services, coverages, and options available through self-funded or insured programs to best meet needs of the District.
- Directs and manages relationships with vendors for all benefit programs.
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Identifies and implements workers compensation strategies to reduce cost, return the employee to work as soon as possible, and improve workplace safety.
- Directs performance of functions such as benefit plan enrollment and processing of insurance claims.
- Directs the processes for all retirements for bargaining groups and non-bargained employees which includes in depth knowledge of TRS, IMRF and other state and federal regulations
- Facilitate insurance meetings and other committee meetings as assigned.
- Works closely with Financial Services Department for data and reporting.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree required preferably in Human Resources or Business, 5 years of experience in administering a benefits program required, previous supervisory experience required. Master’s Degree and professional Human Resources/Benefits certification preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to demonstrate qualities aligned to our core values of Character, Communication, Collaboration and Continuous Improvement.
- Understands a Total Rewards philosophy.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must possess strong organizational skills
- Ability to navigate different software systems
- Proven ability to handle employee issues with complete confidentiality and discretion
- Must be able to analyze data and ensure accuracy
Moderate in-district travel as well as intermittent in-state and out-of-state travel. Intermittent prolonged and irregular hours of work.
This job description describes duties and responsibilities which are representative of the nature and level of work assigned to the position. The identified duties and responsibilities are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the school district and employee and is subject to change by the school district as the needs of the school district and requirements of the job change.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com